01 June 2010

99% of germs.

My first day of eating vegan has almost passed by me, and the only variation on how my days normally go is that I think much more about what's in the food that I'm making. The food itself hasn't changed. I didn't exactly switch my diet from completely carnivorous to purely plant-based (nice alliteration, eh? I should write for Cosmo!). I've been vegetarian for six years, and for three or four of those years (non-consecutively), have cut milk out of everything I eat and cook. I also replaced butter with Earth Balance when I moved to San Francisco, only altering that habit when I lived in Germany and the product wasn't available. Still, claiming veganism feels like a big change.

Other than my food, I've mostly been thinking about advertising. Sean and I were watching TV on YouTube last night, and there was a Lysol ad for a soap pump with a motion-sensing dispenser, similar to this one. It angers me to no end what lows the advertising industry will stoop to, just to scare consumers. It also offends me that these people think I'm stupid enough not to realize that if you're touching the soap pump to begin with, it's probably to pump soap; probably the very soap that is supposed to kill 99% of the germs on my hands.

I hope that everyone who watches TV sees the idiocy in this product right away. I'm pretty sensitive to TV ads, as I saw virtually none of them from ages five to thirteen, but I think this one is too blatant to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment