01 July 2010

Jay-rad

Here is an article that was in the Sac Bee today.

This article concerns the brother of a high school friend of mine who worked on changing some legislation involving motorcycle safety courses, and at what point in obtaining a motorcycle license the course is required. My friend Jarrad passed away at age 18 after a motorcycle accident that took place immediately after he received his learner's permit. Sawyer Cole (Jarrad's brother) and a friend of his (the brother of a close friend of Jarrad's) got something passed that makes the motorcycle safety course mandatory before the motorcycle learner's permit is obtained.

People in the comments section are raising a big ol' fuss, as usual. However, I think this is a pretty reasonable law (especially since I think the only people required to follow it are those under 21). First of all, with an automobile permit, it is required that the learner drives with a licensed driver, even if the learner is over 18. Since on a motorcycle it would be far more difficult for a licensed driver to communicate information to the learner in-route, I think that gap could use some filling. I mean, besides some restrictions on when and where a permit-holder can drive (they are restricted from nighttime driving and freeways), motorcycle permits don't seem all that different from licenses.

Anyway, Sac Bee commentators are freaking out because they think that this means that Jarrad's family is blaming his death on the lack of legislation in place. I have no idea if that's true or not, as I haven't talked to any of them in years, but I can't imagine that's what anyone is saying. It's certainly not what I'm trying to get across, especially because of what I understand about the accident itself, which was kind of freakish. I just don't think it's unreasonable to require a bit of know-how before you're allowed to rampage around town on a potentially dangerous vehicle -- especially because an ignorant motorcyclist could make a fatal mistake that involved another vehicle, who could ultimately take the blame.

Look at how handsome Jarrad is!



Here he and I are around 2006, sharing a quick, platonic smooch.

No comments:

Post a Comment